South African Red Salad
4th August 2017
This is an elegant salad that would be fabulous to serve on a buffet table for a summer supper or braai. It is delicious served with char-grilled meats, chicken or fish. This gourmet salad not only looks beautiful but tastes so light and fresh, it’s perfectly paired with boerewors!
- 400g red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly, using a wedge of it for the dressing
- 60g peppadew peppers, diced
For the Dressing
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk or sourmilk
- Juice of a ¼ lime
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, for taste
- 35 g microherbs, to garnish, such as micro coriander or crimson leaf
1. Mix the salad ingredients together in a large bowl and toss well.
2. Then mix the dressing ingredients together, season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
3. Toss the salad with the dressing, then transfer to a serving platter and garnish with micro herbs and serve.
TIP: Serve with bite sized boerewors for a wonderfully light South African lunch!
Let us know what you think on Twitter, using #ForTheLoveOfFood