Biltong & Spinach Tart
6th December 2023
Indulge your taste buds in a delightful fusion of flavours with our Spinach and Biltong Tart. This savoury creation marries the vibrant freshness of spinach with the rich, savoury goodness of biltong.
The combination of tender spinach leaves and the robust, seasoned notes of biltong creates a deliciously savoury taste and texture that will leave you craving more. Whether you’re a seasoned fan of South African cuisine or a newcomer to its culinary wonders, this tart promises a mouthwatering experience that captures the essence of both tradition and taste.
Ingredients for your Biltong & Spinach Tart:
90g of finely crushed crackers
100g of finely sliced Biltong
60g butter, then melted
2 leeks, sliced up
100g grated cheddar
a splash of milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start your Scrumptious Biltong & Spinach Tart by preheating your oven to 180°C, while you grease your tart tin. Once that’s done, put it aside and get started on creating your base.
- Mix your crushed crackers with the melted butter and half the grated cheese, before pressing it into your tart tin. Tip: Make sure there aren’t any holes in your base by pressing it down firmly.
- Move on to the filling, by heating your olive oil in a saucepan. Fry the sliced leeks until softened, before adding the spinach – it doesn’t need much time to wilt.
- Crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk with a splash of milk, then add it to the pan with the vegetables. Add the biltong and season with salt and pepper, before pouring the mixture onto the tart base in the tine.
- Slide into the oven, bake for 40 minutes. Tip: The mixture should be set and the top starting to brown slightly.
Serve warm or cold and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Titian and Turmeric