Braised Artichokes in Tomato Sauce
1st February 2022
Cook time: 50
Prep time: 20
This dish consists of tender artichokes braised in a spicy tomato sauce – Buon Appetito! Braising artichokes in tomato sauce creates a meltingly veggie side dish. Want to upgrade this dish? Add a handful of flavorful Kalamata olives.
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Chopped Tomatoes (I Prefer Mutti Brand)
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley Leaves (See Notes Above), Divided
- 6 Medium Artichokes, Cleaned & Placed In A Lemon Water Bath To Prevent Discoloration
- Cut the artichokes into half lengthwise.
- In a heavy pot (I use my terra-cotta baker), heat the oil over medium heat until lightly smoking.
- Add the garlic, pepper flakes and cook a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, and half the parsley.
- Season well with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Add the artichokes cut side down, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook about 40 to 45 minutes, turning the artichokes halfway, until the chokes are fork tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the remainder of the parsley, and arrange the chokes on a platter.
- Spoon the sauce over the artichokes and serve immediately.